Tuesday 1 May 2007

The 1st of May is my birthday!

Yes wormies, your beloved Worm is 58 today!
Only 7 years to go, and I retire.
I'd like to think that I'm a nice bloke, and a good husband, father, and grandfather.
If you can die thinking that about yourself, then you can die happy can't you.
I must admit that I'm now feeling weary, and looking forward to my dotage.
But please don't get me wrong!
I'm not weary of my hard working life, but of the mental torture caused by this bloody Government, and the way things are developing in the country that I love.
So, as and when, my wife and I will be selling up, and moving down a notch or two.
Hopefully we will make enough money on our house to buy something smaller, and have enough cash over to fund our retirement, along with our government and private pensions. (assuming the Government don't steal it!) But even in retirement, the mental and financial torture would continue, so it's our intention to live abroad for at least 9 months of the year while we can, and get away from it all.

I can remember the time when being English made me proud, but sadly it's no longer the case.

What this country will be like in 100 years I don't know, but it certainly wont be England as I know it, or any better, and so I really do worry about my grandchildrens future.

I think that it is so sad that I am wishing my life away so that I can escape all of this crap, don't you?

The Old Worm..........................................

3 comments:

Barb said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, WORM!

El Cerdo Ignatius said...

Sir, a very happy birthday to you! Hope you find time to hit the pub and enjoy a glass of your favourite ale.

Your comments about the downward spiral of England are very sad, but they are no different from the several English ex-pats that I know, or the few whose columns, blogs and books I read. John Derbyshire, who grew up in England but has lived in the USA for 20 or so years now (and is now an American citizen), laments the decline of England and the demise of her original identity. In an exchange about the UK with a colleague a few years ago, Derbyshire's only comment was to describe how happy he was "to be out of the damn place." It gave him no pleasure to say such a thing.

I guess what I am trying to say is that having lived in Canada all my life and watched a left-wing government (from 1993 to 2006) make all the same moves as Mr. Blair's government, I can understand your pain, and that of emigres like Mr. Derbyshire.

Have you given any thought as to where, exactly, you might pass the nine months a year abroad?

The Worm said...

Thanks el cerdo.
Your comments will make other people realise that I'm not a miserable whingeing old bastard!
We will probably rent out in a different country once a year.

All I know, is that it will be hot, and will have a very easy and peaceful lifestyle.

Shangrila!