Thursday 15 March 2007

The Community Charge.

I never ever thought that I would say this, but I honestly can't lay the blame for this dilema at anyone's door!
The simple fact, is that the subject is an absolute nightmare, and I can't see how it can ever be resolved fairly, although I do object strongly to the govenments new plans to have our homes visited by an assessor. Not only is it too intrusive, but what you see isn't neccessarily what you've got is it! Let me explain. My wife and I are in our late fifties, and are now having to think about our retirement (god,where has our youth gone!)
We realised that we would never be able to have a reasonable standard of living on our State pensions alone, so we decided to do something about it.
We decided to put our money into a property, and hopefully, when we've retired, we will be able to sell up, move down a notch, and hopefully have a few quid left in the bank to help keep the wolves away from the door. We then went ahead, bought a very nice house, and took on a massive mortgage. To add to that, we took out loans and credit card debts to make the property even more desireable, hoping to increase the value of the house for when we move on to pastures new. To do this, we have tightened out belts, and have cut out the luxuries that most people expect and take for granted. If I'm to be honest, we are now living hand to mouth, month to month! But if seeing is believing, when the assessors come round to my house, they are going to think that no matter what they decide to charge us, we can afford it, when the exact opposite is the case! A massive (100%) increase in our community charge would definitely financialy cripple us, and we would probably have to sell up. Does the government really want to do that to us? (Probably! They really don't give a shit about you or me as long as they can finacially screw us!)
So, ability to pay, would be very good for us because we have no real desposable income anymore, but that would incur means testing, and I am definitely opposed to that, for me and for everyone else!

So, whats the alternative?

I've already honestly explained our position in all of this, so you must realise that this blog is about us and others like us, and it may not apply to you. As things go at the moment, I'm not that unhappy about the present system, because at least I seem to know where I stand, and I can budget for it. (an annual 5% increase seems to be the norm) But unfortunately, the system can be extremely unfair too!

I now live in a band G house, and that is just one band lower than the top band H.

My MP is a millionaire in her own right, and so is her husband. They both live in a massive mansion deep in the countryside, and have a fabulous home in the sun!
And yet, they are only paying aproximately £344 a year more than me!

So is that fair? Do you see where I'm coming from?

Will doubling their community charge change their lives? No of course not, a mere drop in the ocean for them, but it certainely would mine and yours!

The fairest way that I can see is this (although don't forget that this is only my view, and if it costs you more, you are bound disagree!)

Our house contains 2 adults, and we both work.
My mate down the road lives in a house containing 4 adults, as the kids can't afford to buy a place of their own! They also work.

So as the system is at the moment, in my house, there are 2 people that can take advantage of all the services that the Community Charge provides if we wanted to.
In his house, you have double the amount of people using the exact same services available to me as well.
Under the present scheme, because I live in a house that is valued at £50,000 more than his, I am expected to pay more. But he has 4 wage earners using double the facilities than I do!
This to me seems a little unfair!
And if your honest with yourself, you will see my point too, no matter if it affects you or not!
Maybe this could be the way to go?
If you can use it, you can pay for it! What could be simpler? I'm not suggesting that the house with 4 should pay double the house of 2, but surely it's unfair that the 2 should pay more than the 4!
So maybe that could be the way to go?
The number of adults in the house?
It would be a nightmare to administer I agree, and would be open to massive abuse, but what do we have to do to solve the problem in a fair and proper manner?

As I've already said, the subject is a nightmare, and no matter which way we go, it wont please everybody!

But lets get one thing clear! The governments new proposals of individual assessment is a step too far, and us worms will not accept it!
You bring that one in Gordon Brown, and I can garauntee that your political career in office will come to a very quick end, and Labour wont govern for decades!

So think again, you bloody idiot!

Try considering the people that you represent for a change!

The ever despairing Worm.............................

2 comments:

Haveavoice said...

I found your post through a Google alert search about means-testing. Count your blessings that in the UK there are groups trying to do something about this injustice. In the U.S. where I am very few give a frank and honest damned. My pension from the Veterans Administration is means-tested and it sucks. I've written every politician I could reach to no avail. I get lies and bullshit back just like you do. In fact I have a Brit "cousin," Wyn whom I email pretty regularly. Her husband is an American veteran and they have been fighting this on both continents. Our governments are greedy. They give trillions of pounds or dollars to some obscure country but ignore the cries and needs of their own cits. As Wyn tells me- God hears our cries and He's pissed off at the government too. God bless because I read what you're saying and you are writing for me, too.

Anonymous said...

Good luck to you and all you Vets!
You gave your all, and the bastards are still taking!
Keep fighting for what's right.
That's all we can do!

The Worm...................