Sunday 11 March 2007

Governmental fairness. (the lack of it!)

A few years ago, I found myself unemployed.

Having claimed unemployment benefit for a whole week in 1972, I decided not to claim again, as I didn't want to be put through the humiliation I had experienced on the previous occasion, and so I used what little savings I had to support my wife and children for three months until I found a job.
That saved the benefit system hundreds of pounds, and also saved me my dignity!

A couple of years later, I recieved a letter, telling me that I owed national insurance for that period, and failure to pay this would affect my final pension.

So let me get this straight.
I keep my family at my expense for three months.
I don't ask for any help whatsoever, and I cost the country absolutely nothing.
And now I get sent a bill for the privilege.

If I had have claimed benefit, not only would I have had cash in my pocket, but I would have had the NI paid for me too!


Forgive me, but am I missing something here?

A very confused Worm................

PS. I called the NI office when I received the letter, and explained what had happened. No joy though! Pay up or your Pension will be affected I was threatened with! Thanks for nothing!


No comments: