Friday 16 March 2007

I can be a right Pratt sometimes!

I sit here in my nice comfortable home, and after an excellent evening meal, sit in front of my PC with a few beers, and pontificate, moan, and whinge about topics of the day that wind me up. I sit here, and make my own personal comments about how unfair the Government, the System, and life is in general. And let's face it, it is, in the world that you and I live in!
What a selfish pratt I can be!

Along comes Red Nose Day!

I was fortunate enough to visit Kenya for a holiday a while ago, and I can honestly say, that the experience will be with me for the rest of my life! We stayed in an all inclusive hotel by the sea in Mombassa, and were treated like lords for the two weeks we were there. Having travelled that far, it seemed only right that we should take a look at the country, so we booked a 3 day safari. I can honestly say, that those were definitely the most awe inspiring 3 days of my life! So much so, that I got quite emotional and tearful, at the beauty of the country, the animals, and nature in it's rawest form. I know that if you want to see animals, you can always go to the zoo, but seeing them free in their natural habitat truely choked me! Imagine! Plains as far as the eye can see, and full of wild animals. Elephants, giraffe, wild boar, rhino, zebra, gazelle, all roaming the plains happily and peacefully together! It made me realise, that if they can do it, why can't us humans do it?

Anyway, as I said, along came Red Nose Day!

What I've failed to mention about my Kenyan experience, was the squalor and deprivation of the people I saw.
Boy oh boy! Wouldn't they like to have the problems that we complain about!

Ant and Dec ( I do like those two buggers!) visited Niarobi, and highlighted the sanitation problems there! Communal toilets were huts, with deep pits, where you straddled the hole, and did your poo! When the pit was full, it was emptied by hand, (can you imagine doing that?) and disposed of it in the river. Not only are these rivers used for drinking water, but the kids play in them! Needless to say, this causes a lot of death and health problems. Having had to use one of these facilities myself, I can honestly say that I would rather shit myself rather than ever use one again!

This 5 minute clip really struck a chord with me, so I picked up the phone, and I made a contribution. Needless to say, I hope you did too!

It's the old saying! "There's always someone worse off that you!" And boy oh boy, please believe me when I tell you, those poor bastards are!

The Worm.....................


No comments: