Saturday 10 March 2007

Racist! Racist! Racist!

For gods sake!
Aren't you fed up constantly reading in the papers that someone has just been accused of being a racist?
Cos believe me, I certainly am, and so are my ethnic friends!

PC (or political stupidity as I prefer to call it) has caused more problems than it has solved!

I was born in '49, and saw my first black person when I was 3 years old. It never occured to me that he was any different from me, but was just another person I'd met.
However, not everybody felt the same way, and obvious tensions grew on both sides over the years.
Now, as with most situations, there will always be 6 of one, and half dozen of another!
The Jamaicans arrived in the 50's to fill the jobs that us English couldn't or wouldn't do!
So they filled the gap, but were never fully appreciated for their contribution to our society. In later years, the Asian community started to establish itself too.
As things in this country seemed to deteriorate later on, the whites started to look at the immigrant population, and resented the fact that they were working and we weren't. They were the scapegoats! However, us whites had conveniently forgotten that ten or fifteen years previously, we wouldn't have done their jobs if our lives had depended on it!
But time is a great healer, and as the years went by, it seemed to me that we all started to get along at last, side by side, and quite nicely.

And then disaster struck!

Race relations in this country was to be put back at least 20 years (but please remember that this is only my opinion!)
What was the cause?

The race relations act!

Although it was genuinely meant to create harmony and equality, it created a "them and us" situation.
All of a sudden, because this was the wishes of the government of the day, it seemed no matter who applied for a job, if there was an ethnic candidate, they got the job!
So no wonder that there is not much racial tolerance today.
It was never going to be a level playing field again!
I myself have experienced this situation, and it doesn't feel good!
However, if you are ethnic and reading this, you must realise that if things didn't go well for the ethnic candidate, all they had to do was cry "racial descrimination!" and could cause a lot of trouble. Emloyers seemed to be frightened of this (and probably still are) and so they got the job, regardless of the other candidates superior experience or qualifications!

So that has obviously caused resentment. That's not racism, that's human nature!

Hardly fair me thinks!

I have a number of very good friends from all sorts of different religions, ethnicities, colours, and backgrounds, and we all get on together very well!
One thing that strikes us all when we talk, is that no matter who we talk to within the group, we are all very pissed off with the race issue! All of them, like me, are so fed up with the stupidity of it all, and realise that there are far more important issues facing our country, and that we all need to pull together, rather than tear each other apart!

So lets please forget our differences, whatever they may be, and remember what is really important to us all, and the country that we all love and live in!

The Worm...............

No comments: